When I first committed to putting my personal life on my calendar first, I remember the questions that popped into my head:
- What if something comes up?
- How do I know when to go on vacation if I don’t know what my clients need?
- What if I get it wrong?
So much of this came from years of working a job where other people dictated my time off. And here’s the truth about the answers to these questions.
- If something comes up, you can change your schedule.
- Let your clients know when you’re going on vacation.
- You will get it wrong sometimes, but no one besides you will notice.
All good? Ready to start planning your wonderful life?
Here’s what I put on the calendar each year, to get things started:
1. One 3-day weekend per month (last Friday of the month off)
2. One planning day per month (last Monday of the month)
3. Speaking events
4. Travel for work (conferences, speaking)
One last thing: while I live and die by my google calendar, I highly recommend getting a wall calendar so you can see everything at a glance for the year!
Step 6 – ask your cat for feedback (this step is optional and actually not recommended)