I know a lot of people are in the mode of simplifying right now, myself included. And even though simplifying can eventually rocket you into a Zen-like state, the process sometimes makes you want to tear your hair out!
I’ll give you an example. Have you ever organized a messy closet? Here’s what it looks like:
- You can’t take the chaos anymore, and decide you’re going to organize the closet.
- You pull everything out. It now looks worse (WAY worse) than when you started.
- You start thinking that it didn’t really look that bad to start with, and wonder what possessed you to take on this stupid project in the first place.
- You go to Starbucks to refuel.
- You come back and start madly sorting into piles.
- You start to see some organization in the chaos.
- Tired and sweaty, you put away what is left.
- You sigh with satisfaction, then post the before and after photos on Facebook to make your friends jealous.
Note that 6 out of 8 steps are messy, frustrating, and have you questioning your sanity. They are exactly the times when you will feel like giving up. But the truth is, if you give up in the middle of the process, you’re going to be in far worse shape than when you started!
The point is, if your business, life, or closet is messy right now, keep going or it’s going to just get worse. Here are some tips to keep you going through the chaos:
- When simplifying anything, don’t expect to go from zero to Zen in an hour.
- If it’s messy, know that you’re not doing things wrong, you’re just in midst of the natural process.
- When you feel like giving up, rest and refuel. Eat, nap, call a friend or coach.
- Know deep down that giving up will create greater chaos that you started with.
- Keep an eye on your goal.
- Acknowledge your successes, and reward yourself.
What will you simplify next? Want help? Go to www.SimpleIsTheNewBrilliant.com.
Leave a Reply